Thursday, February 18, 2010

Reader's Workshop Links: Book Talks

by Neil Gaiman The Graveyard Book HarperCollins; Later Printing edition 2008Book talks have really been taking off in my classroom over the last two weeks as students begin to finish their first books. We try to fit in three talks a day, most days of the week. So far talks have covered everything from The Hunger Games to Homecoming and The Graveyard Book.

Book talks are a wonderful way of promoting books, authors and reading in general, so I wasn't surprised to find some good links. I'm highlighting two of them here:

Nancy Keane's Booktalks Quick and Simple - has the biggest collection of short book talks I've ever seen. It would be a wonderful place to start looking for books. I particularly liked the subject list, where you could find book talks for books that deal with themes like adoption, immigration, music, survival and so much more. There's also book talking tips, review resources and reading lists. Don't forget to check out the blog, and the massive podcast list.

The Scholastic Book talk site is another resource I've used. Sometimes I find the videos a little stilted - they're scripted and not quite oozing with the enthusiasm I find in a good book talk. But I have been able to use them as examples of good book talks - helped the students realise how they should be sitting up and talking clearly, and there is a wide range of books covered.

Do you have a favourite book talking website? Comment and let me know.

Find more reader's workshop links here

0 comments:

A Reader's Community

My photo
Queensland, Australia
A Reader's Community is a place to find ideas, information, resources and recommendations about Reader's Workshop.

This Blog has five main types of posts.

About Reader's Workshop - information about Reader's Workshop in my classroom and how it works

Reader's Workshop Tools - resources you can access and use to help you with reader's workshop

Book talks - Book recommendations of two or three books centred around a particular theme

Book letters - in-depth reviews of one particular book

Reader's Workshop Links - Short links lists to help you find more information
Related Posts with Thumbnails