Monday, March 8, 2010

Book Talk: Best books I read in January and February 2010

I'm going to try to highlight some of the books I read for Reader's Workshop this year by making a list of the best ones. Maybe I could hold some sort of award ceremony at the end! These are the best books I read in January and February:

When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
When You Reach MeWow. Just . . . wow. I have no other way to describe the threads which hold this story together, or the colour which seems embedded (like those flashbacks in movies where everything's slightly yellow). I had trouble describing this book to others, because it's about friendship and change and growing up and competitions, but you don't want to give away the ending. If you haven't already devoured it, I highly recommend it.

Anything but Typical by Nora Raleigh Baskin
Jason lives in a world ruled by neuro-typicals. He has the tools, the strategies, that he know he needs, but he can't always pull them together at the right time, or quick enough to satisfy others. He loves writing, and publishes his stories on a website, where he meets a girl. Except when he might meet the girl in real life, he doesn't want her to know who he is. A lovely story which I'm reading to my students now.

Love, AubreyLove, Aubrey by Suzanne LaFleur
Oh, this is the most heart breaking book I've read this year. We meet Aubrey when she's trying to live on her own, when she's trying not to be found out, before her grandmother comes and takes her away. Aubrey is the best character, and I've noticed a lot of teary eyes from those reading her in class.

Smile by Raina Telgemeier
I've talked about this one before, but I still have to rave about it. So good. So good. So good. And loved by both the boys and girls in the class. A story of growing up, friendship and dental work.

The Hunchback Assignments by Arthur Slade
The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, Book 1)I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. It's the story of Modo, a hunchback with the power to change his appearance. Also Mr Socrates, who runs a mysterious organisation. There's adventure, sci-fi, fantasy and a little bit of romance. Excellent.

The Percy Jackson books by Rick Riordon
Can't skip these. The story of Percy, a demi god, who lives between the modern world and ancient myths brought into the modern world, complete with gods and monsters. As an ancient history nerd, these are the BEST!

0 comments:

A Reader's Community

My photo
Queensland, Australia
A Reader's Community is a place to find ideas, information, resources and recommendations about Reader's Workshop.

This Blog has five main types of posts.

About Reader's Workshop - information about Reader's Workshop in my classroom and how it works

Reader's Workshop Tools - resources you can access and use to help you with reader's workshop

Book talks - Book recommendations of two or three books centred around a particular theme

Book letters - in-depth reviews of one particular book

Reader's Workshop Links - Short links lists to help you find more information
Related Posts with Thumbnails