Sunday, January 24, 2010

Reader's Workshop Tools: Looking after the Library and Signing Out Books

As I frantically scramble towards the first day of school, I've been putting together some tools for my Reader's Workshop for the year. I'm big on owls this year, so I wanted some new posters/info sheets and sign out sheets which would include some owls.

Looking After Our Classroom Library Poster/Flier PDF/Doc
One of the things I really want to have in the classroom is a sense of community and the feeling that the space belongs to all of us. Last year the students were great at looking after things, but I have found some books in strange places and cushions were an ongoing problem. Hopefully this poster will help everyone, but I'm particularly aiming it at students who volunteer as librarians.

Classroom Library Borrowing PDF/Doc
I allow the students to take up to two books home with them each day. So far (cross fingers) I haven't lost one as students are pretty careful knowing that they're my books from my own money. Last year I used a similar sheet to this one for students to note their name and the book/s. They then ticked it the next day when they returned them, and I signed them when I saw the books. I think this year I might have 2 or 3 grade seven students taking on that duty.

I hope these resources can be of some help to you. Please let me know if there's any other classroom library resources I can share with you or if you have any questions.

Find more Reader's Workshop Tools here

0 comments:

A Reader's Community

My photo
Queensland, Australia
A Reader's Community is a place to find ideas, information, resources and recommendations about Reader's Workshop.

This Blog has five main types of posts.

About Reader's Workshop - information about Reader's Workshop in my classroom and how it works

Reader's Workshop Tools - resources you can access and use to help you with reader's workshop

Book talks - Book recommendations of two or three books centred around a particular theme

Book letters - in-depth reviews of one particular book

Reader's Workshop Links - Short links lists to help you find more information
Related Posts with Thumbnails